Clairlea is a quiet, middle-income neighbourhood that has well treed streets and reasonable homes. There is lots of shopping options on Warden, Victoria Park and Eglinton Avenues. This is an ideal neighbourhood for commuters as it’s well served by public transit and is also at intervals close proximity to the Don Valley Parkway.
Clairlea’s major landmark is Warden Woods, a deep ravine valley that spans the south-east perimeter of this neighbourhood. The Warden Woods Ravine parkland incorporates a paved path which offers Clairlea residents a little bit of nature close to home.
Clairlea was formerly part of a pioneer crossroads village referred to as Moffat’s Corners. Moffat’s Corners is best remembered for the Strangford Post Office which opened in 1863. This post office was situated at the current day intersection of St. Clair and Victoria Park Avenues. The Strangford name given to the post office was most likely taken from a little city in Northern Ireland, as most of this space’s initial settlers were of Irish descent.
When the Strangford Post Workplace closed in 1873, Moffat’s Corners became half of the bigger Scarborough Junction community. In the first 190zero’s, the youngsters in this area attended the Scarborough Junction school which was located at Kennedy and Danforth Roads.
The current day neighbourhood began to take form within the 1950’s when furrowed farm fields were replaced by rows of homes. This neighbourhood takes its name from the Clairlea Public School which opened in 1951.
Clairlea’s original housing stock dates from the 1940’s and fifty’s. The style of houses found here includes little bungalows, modest storey-and-a-half houses, and 2-storey, detached houses.
The streets north of St. Clair have a curvilinear street pattern and the homes are fairly uniform in style. The residential pocket south of St. Clair options a steep hill topography and smaller, older homes.
The Warden Power Centre located at the north-east corner of St.Clair and Warden Avenues is a fashionable day shopping centre that contains “Big Box” retail chain stores together with Winners, Future Shop, and Hy & Zels.
Victoria Park contains a restricted quantity of retailers, and a smart selection of restaurants as well as Chinese, Mediterranean, Caribbean and East and West Indian foods.
Warden Woods Park is a heavily wooded ravine valley containing a paved path frequented by nature enthusiasts, joggers and cyclists. Access points to the present park are located off St. Clair and Pharmacy Avenues. To the south of Warden Woods Park is Byng Park and also the West Scarborough N.C.C., that features a bocce club and horseshoe pits.
The Detonia Park Golf Course, located on the east side of Victoria Park Avenue, simply north of Danforth Avenue, may be a difficult scenic course that’s ideal for beginners and advanced players wanting to apply their short game.
The Warden Woods Power Centre situated off Warden Avenue, contains a Cineplex movie theatre with eight screens that feature all the latest movie releases.
The new Warden Hilltop Community Centre is the first public building in Toronto to be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver certified featuring a geothermal heating and cooling system, green roof and solar power. The centre includes a double gym, weight area, teaching kitchen and preschool area.